Friday, January 10, 2014

Game List Editing


So as some of you may know, I am going to be getting married on June 27th of this year. I'm super excited about this but I've realized that this kind of gives me a soft deadline for my Final Fantasy run through since we also may be moving cross country. While I'll still be able to play, I won't have nearly enough time to devote to such a massive undertaking and so, I've made the hard choice to edit down my list of games to play. Basically, I cut games that weren't really relevant to the Final Fantasy canon as a whole. Games that didn't contribute much to the series and thus are less important waypoints on the way through the series. I've also cut both online games due to the large amount of time they would take to complete fully. So, here is the updated game list:

-Final Fantasy (1987)
-Final Fantasy II (1988)
-Final Fantasy III (1990)
-Final Fantasy IV (1991)
-Final Fantasy Adventure (1991)
-Final Fantasy V (1992) < - You are here!
-Final Fantasy VI (1994)
-Final Fantasy VII (1997)
-Final Fantasy Tactics (1997)
-Final Fantasy VIII (1999)
-Final Fantasy IX (2000)
-Final Fantasy X (2001)
-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (2003)
-Final Fantasy X-2 (2003)
-Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus (2006)
-Final Fantasy XII (2006)
-Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (2007)
-Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (2007)
-Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (2007)
-Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (2008)
-Final Fantasy XIII (2009)
-Dissidia: Final Fantasy (2009)
-Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (2009)
-Final Fantasy Dimensions (2010)
-Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011)
-Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy (2011)
-Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (2012)
-Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (2013)

There are a few games still on the list that are on the chopping block too, that I may have to cut if time runs short. These are the Tactics Advance games, XII: Revenant Wings, Dirge of Cerberus, The 4 Heroes of Light and Dimensions, not necessarily in that order. I'd like to keep all these games in as I feel they all have something significant to add to the timeline but I'd rather get through all the core series than play those and miss something like XIII.

Now of course, this is a soft deadline, meaning when June 27th rolls around, that doesn't necessarily mean I'll be done here. I'll still be gaming of course, it'll just be a matter of not really being able to put in 10-12 hours at a time. But if I'm still working through IX come June, I'll probably cut a few so that I'm not spending our honeymoon busting out Final Fantasy. Can't say the fiancee would likely appreciate that much!

I'll try and talk a bit about the games that I've passed over such as Mystic Quest and the Crystal Chronicles games but I will not be doing playthroughs of those games. Frankly, Mystic Quest was commercially and critically panned and the Crystal Chronicles are ultra-repetitive dungeon crawlers with some multiplayer thrown in. They aren't terrible games but they aren't great either. I'm not just basing their removal on how good they are, though. They also didn't contribute much to the franchise as a whole, not like the ones listed did. Even Dirge of Cerberus, one of the worst rated games in the series marked a huge departure for Final Fantasy, being the first non-RPG Final Fantasy and the first sequel to Final Fantasy VII, the game that everyone thought they wanted.

Anyway, I wanted to share that news with you before I venture into the second world of Final Fantasy V.

As always,
Game on!


No comments:

Post a Comment