Monday, February 17, 2014

My Final Post...

Just kidding! I know it probably seems like that since the time between posts has been getting longer and longer as time goes on. I've been struggling to find time as the wedding date gets closer and closer but I am still pushing my way through Final Fantasy V. Seriously, this is the longest game so far, but I'm finally in the last world, getting the super weapons to take down Exdeath.

So, I have to admit something. I know the quality of these blog posts have gone downhill recently. To be honest, I'm having a tougher time coming up with interesting things to write about while still avoiding spoilers for the games. Because of this, I've decided that I'm lifting the spoiler ban from here on out. I'm not going to intentionally spoil things for all of you just for the sake of spoiling things but this will allow some discussion regarding the actual story material of the games which is the bulk of Final Fantasy anyway. Since this series is older than I am, I figure that spoilers are around the internet anyway and it's unlikely that those of you who haven't played them yet and are reading Final Fantasy blogs don't know what's happened in pretty much all of these games.
The grand water of spoilers, reviving all it touches
My thoughts on Final Fantasy V so far have been that although the job system makes the gameplay the most interesting of all of them thus far, the storyline completely blows. There are four characters that you care nothing for throughout pretty much the entire game. Three of the characters stop their character development about halfway through the game and the fourth dies only to be replaced by a girl who cares for nothing other than the fact that the fourth character died.

The storyline has you established as the four warriors of light (or some derivation of such) who have to go around and protect the four crystals which are being destroyed. Too bad you fail miserably, as with every other Final Fantasy game, get transferred to another world and fail AGAIN.

I hope they never need to protect me...
So, by the end of the game, we have established that these four warriors are literally the worst heroes in all of gaming, failing at everything they try to accomplish. Oh, and what's the big evil force that's trying to stop them?

Well, that makes sense
That's right. Exdeath is really an evil tree out to destroy the world. An evil... tree. As is becoming of the most evil plant in all of existence, Exdeath is a failure as a villain as well. Sure he's big, bad and powerful but he's perhaps the dumbest villain possible. By the time you get to the third world, he shows his ultimate power by sucking entire cities into a giant void, erasing them from the world. But what does he do to the four warriors? Well, he gives them a giant naked woman to fight, of course!

Are those snakes? You know what? I don't even want to know.
It would just make way too much sense to suck them into the void along with everyone else. No, he has to give them the naked chick. Oh and if that weren't dumb enough, along with this boss, he gives them their party member back that was lost in the void. Because Final Fantasy V.

So, that's where I'm at right now. The story is absolutely absurd and I really don't see it getting better anytime soon. So, I'm hopefully going to be able to defeat the evil tree tonight and end this game but we'll see what happens.

Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment