Thursday, April 17, 2014

Disaster Narrowly Avoided er... Postponed

New developments on the Final Fantasy Tactics situation. Turns out that after a few years in my closet, my PS2 has decided to breath it's last and no longer works with controller inputs. You can plug the controllers in, start up a game but damned if it's going to do anything when you push buttons on the controller.

A nice ceremony was held for my fallen brother in arms. Words were spoken, songs were sung and we laid my longtime friend to rest for the final time. But alas, what would this mean for my pilgrimage? If you recall, I had no luck emulating Tactics on my computer and now am not able to play it on a console either. I almost threw in the towel when I decided rules must be bent in order for the pilgrimage to continue.

The good news, Final Fantasy Tactics will work fine and the pilgrimage will commence as originally planned (with Tactics first and then Final Fantasy VIII rather than doing them simultaneously). The downside is that I'm actually going to be playing the updated version Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions released for the PSP on a PSP emulator. It works on my computer at least through the first battle so I don't forsee any further issues with this. It does seem to be a pretty major overhaul including new localization, new cutscenes and I know it contains additional Final Fantasy characters and other bonuses. It's too bad that I can't go with the original but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. War of the Lions is better than no Tactics at all.

The reason I say disaster is merely postponed is because while this will get me through Final Fantasy 9 (using a rom for the PSN release of 9), I don't know how I'm going to play Final Fantasy X or XII as I don't have a PS3 to play the X release on and XII is a PS2 exclusive. I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there. Perhaps I'll invest in a PS3 and get the X/X-2 collection, which I heard was quite good and would solve the problem of not owning X-2, and find some other option for XII. Idk. I'll keep you up to date. For now, I'm just excited to finally be able to start Tactics.

Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment