Monday, April 14, 2014

PSX Emulation

After Sephiroth got ownaged by Cloud, we step aside from the core series and go to the undisputed king of Final Fantasy spin-offs, Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm happy about this since it'll be nice to have a change in genres but also because this is the first game on the list that I actually still own!

As it turns out though, emulating PSX games is not as simple as SNES or NES. I downloaded ePSXe, the most common PSX emulator on the market but it seems that it takes a more modular approach to emulation. Instead of coming pre-packaged with everything you need like SNES emulators do, you actually have to download a whole bunch of separate files to get it to work.

You first need the PSX BIOS file. This tells the emulator which region you want to be playing in. I'm in the US so I need the one for NTSC-U disks. You then need a graphics plug-in. For SNES, these were all built in so I got to play around with my different options and find what worked the best. For PSX, it's more a matter of downloading them all and finding which one sucks the least. There are several available so experimentation is not only recommended, it's required. Sound is thankfully built into the emulator already.

After spending about two hours mixing and matching softwares, I decided to scrap it since the only one that didn't chug along at 10 fps had frequent texture pop-in and skewed graphics. This means that I'll have to play it on my PS2 back home, significantly decreasing the amount of time I'll be able to devote to it and I won't be able to take screenshots from the game.

Because of this, I decided to work through Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy VIII at the same time (since I have FFVIII on Steam and it works just fine). Expect a lot of jumping around in the next few posts as I bounce between the two highly anticipated games.

Oh and I kind of half-assed my game rankings last time due to some time constraints. Here is the full list in order from best to worst Final Fantasy game.

Game Rankings:

  1. Final Fantasy VI
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Final Fantasy IV
  4. Final Fantasy V
  5. Final Fantasy III
  6. Final Fantasy
  7. Final Fantasy Adventure
  8. Final Fantasy II

Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment